Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Tofu Stir-fry with Asparagus

This is the recipe I used as inspiration, but I didnt have all the ingredients so mine was a bit different but still YUMMY:

toasted sesame oil (I didnt have so I used regular oil)
8 ounces extra-firm tofu, cut into slices thick as a pencil
5 green onions, thinly sliced
scant 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger (peeled) (I didnt have so I used ginger powder)
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 a bunch of asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (I used 1 pkg frz asparagus)
a couple big pinches of fine-grain sea salt
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 big handful of toasted cashews, chopped up a bit (I used almonds)
a few handfuls of spinach, or chopped kale, or chopped chard (I used kale)
juice of one lime
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce (I didnt have subbed in soy sauce)
1 small handful fresh mint, slivered (I didn't have so omitted)
1 small handful fresh basil, slivered


Heat oil in a large pan or wok over medium high heat. When it is hot, add the tofu, and cook until golden - remove the tofu from the pan and set aside.
Add another splash of oil to the pan and, as soon as it is hot, add the onions, ginger, red pepper flakes, asparagus, and salt. Stir fry for about a minute, then add the garlic, almonds, and kale. Return the tofu to the pan. Stir in the lime juice and the soy sauce. Cook until the veggies are soft.

Serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment